Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Amberlynn

Sorry about the title, I haven't thought of a name yet. Well, no one's posted anything in a while, and I got this idea and the words for the beginning and I just had to write it down so I wouldn't forget. I'll probably use the idea for nanowrimo this year, or something. Maybe not, I'm not sure :D Tell me what you think:



"Amberlynn? Bree--Bree's dead."
Slowly, I put my homework down as I mulled this over in my head. Mother always preferred to come right out and say things--especially the things that were the hardest to say. Usually this left you feeling like she'd run you over with a truck.
Today was a little different. It was more like Einstein telling me that the sky was actually not blue, but bright pink. It was shocking, but I knew Mother, like Einstein, would not joke about something like this.
When it was clear to my mother that I had no response to give, she closed the door and left swiftly, but not before I saw her face and the tears flowing down her cheeks. I realized then that my own eyes should be wet after hearing the news of my dead cousin, especially one who had lived in the same town as me. But I wasn't crying. In fact I didn't even feel very sad. Only thoughtful. I did feel very bad for Brielle, but I knew that wasn't the same thing. Somehow I just couldn't get myself to really feel remorse, as everyone else did.
I wandered out into the living room a few minutes later to find my sister crying on the couch. When she saw me she ran to me and hugged me fiercely as she struggled to suppress her sobs. At age thirteen, Ivy was three years younger than Bree was, but she had still been Bree's favorite cousin. They were always doing things together, and alone, if they could manage to sneak away from the younger cousins who were always begging Brielle to play with them. It had always seemed a little strange, since I was the one who was Bree's age, but I never did anything with her. We didn't even like each other all that much.


As the book goes on, Amberlynn (known as Lynn) will start to learn things about Brielle that she never knew, and realize there was more to her than she thought. By the end she'll wish she'd gotten to know her cousin.
Did I portray Amberlynn okay? I don't want her to seem like a terrible person, because she doesn't care that Brielle's dead, but I did need to show that she and Bree didn't have a very good relationship. So did I do okay?

3 comments:

Annie Bakker said...

i think you did great at showing protraying her. but i think there needs to be a little more at the begining then to just start it right there but i still liked it alot! great job!

Michelle said...

Yeah, I've thought about that, but my goal is kind of to be able to get the readers to know Bree without actually ever meeting her in the story (besides in flashbacks and stuff)so yeah that's why I did it the way I did.

Annie Bakker said...

thats a really good idea! i think it will turn out great. and the more i read it the more i like it!